Image Map

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Have You Heard Of...

So let me just start by saying, I was not asked to endorse, nor paid to endorse the website I am about to tell you about! As a teacher, I enjoy the content of this website and how it helps my students to really delve deeper into their writing.

So without further ado, I give you writingfix.com. There are all kinds of lessons that include a mentor text. The lessons usually focus on two aspects of writing.  The one that my students have just completed goes along with the book "A Bad Case of Stripes" and focuses on ideas and voice. The kids loved that we got to read such a fun book and then they loved it even more when they heard they would get to write their own "bad case" story.  I loved the amount of buy-in from my students. Writing is not always a favorite in my class, but over the past week of using writing fix and writing our "bad case" stories, I've actually had kids asking WHEN we were going to do writing...and yes, I have a classroom schedule posted!

Besides the buy-in from my students, I love that there are printable rubrics.
And did I mention they're set up to print on post-its? Who doesn't love post-its??? My kids have never enjoyed using a rubric so much. The lesson that we completed had post-its to check our ideas and voice, since that's what we were focusing on in our writing. It also has a sticky note to use for peer editing of things like spelling, end punctuation, grammar, commas, capitalization. WE. LOVE. POST-ITS! So it's been great!

If you're looking for a great website for writing, or just want to switch it up for a week, check this out!


No comments:

Post a Comment