Image Map

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Back to School and a Giveaway

So back to school is just around the corner for me (if you're already back, just remember you'll be finished before I will)! So I'm running through some of my favorite things to do for back to school. And I'm participating in a giveaway blog hop!
I'll be giving away a $10 TpT card to one winner and an item of the winners choice from my store to another winner!

I love to do community building activities at the beginning of the year. And the kids really seem to enjoy them as well. One of the things we do, within the first two weeks of school, is a table group activity. I usually have 4-5 table groups in my classroom. So this activity is a nice way to get them used to working together. Each table group is given a different 100 piece puzzle. Before the groups are given their puzzles, I remind them of a few things: every person in the group MUST participate and they cannot touch the puzzle until the five minutes of discussion time is up. I then remind them that they may want to keep their table discussions at an appropriate voice level (which gives me the opportunity to remind them of our voice levels!) so that the other tables cannot hear their puzzle plan! This activity usually takes 30-40 minutes. But it is well worth the time. The kids get to practice making a plan together and using appropriate voice levels while working with their groups. Plus, it's great to see the different ways that they go about putting their puzzles together!

I also love to have the kids share about their summer.
This is a writing activity that also includes a snack and is a great way for me to learn about my new kids.
The kids will get to eat a snack of s'mores in a cup/bag/whatever vessel you may have on hand while they write about a given summer topic.
Who doesn't love an activity that includes a snack? I know all of my past classes have!

The other thing I am doing to kick start my classroom on a journey for kindness this year is to start the year with kindness shout outs.
I started these last year, during the second half of the year, and totally wish I had started them sooner! My kids LOVED having the ability to shout each other out for the acts of kindness they were witnessing.
Then, at the end of the day, I would read them all out loud and the kids would get to take home their shout outs. And let me tell you, I was quickly reminded to do this if we were running short of time at the end of the day!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Looking for another chance to win...keep hopping through for even more chances! Mrs. Willyerd's Virtual Classroom is up next!

21 comments:

  1. I can't see your rafflecopter - or a place to enter. I have tried to load in Safari and Chrome. There is a place where it looks like something is trying to load, but never does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked it last night/early this morning and it was fine. Thanks for letting me know! I think I have it all fixed up now!

      Delete
  2. I'd love your Interpreting Graphs and Data product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great giveaway! I love your Kindness Shout outs! Thanks of the opportunity.
    123kteach

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love the Count, Color & Graph Independent Work!
    kcahcrim@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love the color by sight words! avivaesther@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Base Ten Block Addition (with and without regrouping).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really LOVE your kindness shout outs that you mentioned in this post but, if I had to ONLY choose one product from your store - it would have to be https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Popcorn-Word-Bundle-1297287 - they would go amazing with movie night or during Hollywood theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to have your Skip Counting Through the Seasons math resource!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your base 10 counting puzzles

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the Leprechaun Gold Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the What's in the Box Christmas Inferencing. I bet the kids love that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of Kindness Shout-Outs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of the items I like is Color, Count, Graph: Independent Work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Lucky-Cereal-Fractions-2449976?aref=ms88byn6

    ReplyDelete
  15. The kindness shout outs are great and I like the author's purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the Narrative and Opinion in a Bag activities.

    ReplyDelete